Wednesday, March 11, 2009

But... Mama, where it go?!!!!

Today Eva, Yaya and I had a little outing. We went up the hill to Petco, Michael's, and Office Max. At Petco, Eva's 2nd favorite store in the universe, we looked at all of the animals, and one of us squealed with delight, when the big brown floppy eared bunny came over to say hi. We then went into Michael's, which is a great store, filled with many things to occupy a 2 year old with (after you purchase them), it is always a struggle to get Eva through that store without attempting to pull every single item in stock, off of the shelves. Anyhow, today was no different, they had a ton of Easter crafts right in front of you as you walk in, and as I mentioned earlier, Eva had recently bonded with a bunny, so she was all about the bunny items that were being flaunted in her face. After careful negotiations, a semi-tantrum and a threat of being put into the cart.. with the buckle!!!(gets her every time, she hates those buckles), we were able to pass by the over priced bunny crafts. We moseyed over to the dollar section, and Eva picked out a pencil with a butterfly eraser and an "empty coloring book" (a notebook). She carried her new items very tightly through the trip to Office Max. When we finally made it back to the car, she could wait no longer, so I took the cellophane off of her items, and she was drawing a lovely picture, then she thought that she would have a little snack of eraser. "No Eva, that is not a sucker!" I then explained to her what an eraser was, and how it was used, she gave me that "oh, I get it, you've been smoking crack again" look. So I showed her I drew a line in her book, then erased it. Her jaw hit the floor. It was magic. She lifted the book, examined the eraser. Then she whispered "whoaaaaa" She then made a scribble and erased it herself. After a few pages of erased pictures she said "But.... Mama, where it go?!!!" I thought about it, and imagined a parallel universe where everything that everyone had ever erased had gone... All the people and books that were intentionally erased from history, all of the mean and spiteful things that people thought better of, all of those term papers that were lost because of a reformatting error.... I realized that I did not know what to say to her, where did the erased markings go? "They are just gone" is what I told her, she accepted it, but I don't think that it is an acceptable answer. Does anyone have an answer for that?

1 comment:

  1. Wow- inspiring. I think that the 'erased things' would be something worth writing about. Where do those erased things go? Erased and lost forever heaven, perhaps.
    Love how you had to negotiate...life with a child...negotiations. Maybe that's what our subtitle should be as parents. Negotiator

    ReplyDelete